Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Shocking Shopping

I thought I would share this story with you all, you might get a kick out of it. The other day I decided that I was going to cook a laksa so needed to buy some fish. Now buying fish here can be a bit of an experience as when you go the the fish counter in the supermarket all the fish are swimming around in fish tanks. Not really the way I am use to buying fish, but admittedly you can not complain about freshness. There are also some already dead and sitting whole in ice, however as the names of the fish are written in Chinese I am never sure of what I want and also I want it filleted. The last time I went to buy fish there were so many other women haggling at the counter and I had no idea of what I wanted and how to get it filleted so I ended up buying frozen fillets. But this time, I was determined to buy fresh. Richard had come home from school early so I decided to enlist his help, surely between the two of us we could come home with something. So off we went.


I think Richard thought I was a bit of a whimp until we got there. We perused the tanks wondering what would be best. Let me assure you that choosing a fish from the fish tank to eat is not the same as buying fish ready to eat. So we were still not sure of what to do when we noticed another tank, but this tank did not contain fish, but was full of live frogs or toads!... As you can imagine, this sent us hopping straight to the frozen fish section again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment